Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Texas Alcohol Law Pertaining to Convenience Stores has me Puzzled.

     I went in to a convenience store with my 15 year old nephew and my 23 year old brother to buy some chips, ice, and beer. When we got to the counter I was carrying the beer with me and the cashier asked us three for our IDs. I said I'm the one that is buying the beer why should you card all of us. She said that there is a Texas Alcohol law that prohibits them from selling alcohol to minors if they have been near the beer aisle or have pointed at the beer selection. I was puzzled to find out about this specially after she said she could lose her job and we could get arrested or fined if she would sell me the beer in the presence of a minor. I did not argue with the cashier as to not cause a scene just calmly walked out of the store and went to another convenience store. 
     In my opinion this is bullshit, to me it sounded more of a store policy than a Texas Law. Anyway I went to another store and asked the cashier if such law was true. He said yes, but it was up to the cashier on duty to make the decision about selling the beer or not. He also told me that the law is only enforced if the minor is asked to carry the beer to the cash register. The reason why this was enforced upon me at the other store was because the cashier was assuming I was buying the beer for my nephew, a minor. Another reason why I was puzzled was because I've never ran into this situation when buying alcohol with a minor with me at a grocery store or even a liquor store. A few days before this incident I walked in to a liquor store with my 8 year old niece and I was able to buy a bottle of Tequila.
     
 I'm thinking about forwarding this to the Penn & Teller's Bullshit Show.  

What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment